The United States African Development Foundation (USADF) and the Government of Niger State intend to work together to provide development assistance to farmer cooperatives, producer associations and small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Niger State. The goals are to increase Niger State’s market competitiveness and positively impact the individual farmers, the organizations, and grassroots communities by increasing product outputs and income generated.
Under the program, the Parties will fund enterprises which must currently operate on a business model with clearly defined pathways to profitability. The enterprises are expected to fall within the following value chains:
As part of the initial start-up activities under the program, Diamond Development Initiatives (DDI), USADF’s Technical Partner, intends to hire a consultant to carry out a scoping assignment that will assist in making a determination about the appropriate geography and sectors that have comparative advantage and to provide evidence-based information for subsequent project development.
This Terms of Reference (TOR) therefore intends to set the minimum requirements and the scope of work to be undertaken in the project target areas so as to provide benchmark information and indicators.
The purpose of the scoping assignment is to conduct a survey and mapping exercise aimed at analyzing the types of potential target groups and beneficiaries in the State and to further conduct an in-depth review of the proposed value chains. The scoping engagement is also expected to include mapping of the various commodity clusters in the State with a view to identifying their locations and the key actors and stakeholders operating within the clusters.
Specific Survey Objectives:
The process would be initiated through inception meeting, desk review, data collection, synthesis and analysis. The consultant shall specifically:
1) Develop tools and an appropriate methodology for primary data collection
2) Review identified commodity Value Chains and establish;
3) Establish specific, relevant, and reliable markets the program should target at primary, regional, national and international level markets.
4) Assess the current trends in the environment; government regulations and control mechanisms
5) Provide framework for the design, implementation, monitoring, risk management and evaluation of value chains development strategies: to provide tools to ensure that information is incorporated in production stages and how it should be interpreted and used for decision-making. This will include baseline surveys to document socio-economic conditions of target beneficiaries and to identify indicators against which project's impact could be measured and reported.
A) Inception report
B) Values chain analysis report such as;
C) Recommendations: Description of the key systemic/critical issues, as well as practical actions to address the issues, recommendations for an upgrading strategy, Action Points, Activities, monitoring indicators (including process and outcome indicators) Outputs, Expected outcomes and Risks/assumptions and recommendations around risk monitoring, mitigation and management.
Technical and Cost Proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by 6:00 pm on Friday, December 13, 2019 with NIGER STATE SCOPING EXERCISE in the subject line.
Core responsibilities of the Consultant
The consultant will be expected to perform the following core responsibilities:
Skill and knowledge base requirements